A sub-division of oldpunks.com

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Review: Sin City

Sin City, the dumbest movie I've seen in a while. It's Sado-Noir. Oooo, I just made that up. Now I'll scat for you: skeep bop boop, a flopity snoop.. Yeah!!!!!

Style is not substance when it's made up entirely of cliche. Comic books are for kids and the harder you try to prove they're not the more it's proven they are. I own 12,000 of them, that's right, twelve thousand, so craps, boxcars and big bennies!

Robert Rodriguez and co-director/comic book fellow Frank Miller channel one-scene "special guest director" Quentin Tarantino and his scumbagio aesthetic into a digital world where all men are psychotic and all women are whores, where what's real is the worst of what's possible, because that's the real reality man!

Harry Potter is Hannibal Lecter and Freddy Krueger. Bruce Willis is always good. It's nice to see Rutger Hauer work and it was very brave of Mickey Rourke to appear sans makeup and prosthetics. I kid, I kid. I kid because I love. He's the best part of the movie.

Do you want bad dialogue? Well, do ya?


It's going to be blood for blood and by the gallon. These are the old days, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days. They're back!

I already have killed you, you jerk! Wise up! But even though it feels like Niagara Falls down there, you'll be a damn long time dying and I can make it quick, or I can make it worse.

My warrior woman. My Valkyrie. You'll always be mine, always and never. Never. The Fire, baby. It'll burn us both. It'll kill us both. there's no place in this world for our kind of fire. Always and never. If I have to die for you tonight, I will.

Oh I wish someone would make a movie with stories from the old Spirit comic books. The character is quite secondary to the stories and mood. Now there's violent noir with grace, humor and style. Skeep bop boop, indeed.

Mr. Cranky loved Sin City too!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sin City was a steaming pile. How anyone over the age of 13 could like that rickety, clunky excuse for cinema is beyond me.

Frank Miller's best days are more than a decade behind him and Robert Rodriguez should make the better movies he's probably still capable of making and avoid juvenile wish-fulfillment crap like this.

Even worse that this film is the news that a sequel is on the way. Depressing.

Anonymous has spoken.

7:33 PM

 
Blogger emerson said...

Sin City made me pine for the technological wonders of Sky Captain and The World Of Tomorrow. It also convinced me that few actors can act in scenes where most things in the shot will be added later.

6:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home