A sub-division of oldpunks.com

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Patti Smith Made Queen Of France

Earlier today Patti Smith was presented the insignia of Commander of the Order of the Arts and Letters by French Culture Minister Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres in Paris. Good for her.

The AP Article noted "The ministry, in a statement, noted Smith's appreciation for 19th century French poet Arthur Rimbaud..." That's when my eyes rolled like a broken slot machine. Arthur Rimbaud: history's prime example of the artist as consummate asshole. I think people worship him because he was an asshole just as more people prefer Charles Bukowski as a degenerate drunk.

Rimbaud was a sadistic bully. He stabbed someone at a poetry reading and, as gloriously recounted by Smith herself, urinated on a poet because he didn't like the work. Later on he skipped town after committing murder and then ran guns and traded slaves. A real lovely person whose poetry absolves him in the eyes of his fans. The art world allows itself a great number of get out of jail free cards.

In 2003 Paris made Mumia Al-Jamal an honorary citizen. When that happened my eyes didn't roll but I did urinate on a french roll. At least Patti didn't stand over a policeman and shoot him dead, so I'm glad the French have upped their standards. If you think the French didn't think Mumia killed the cop, think again. He was given the honor because they thought he did. You do things like that when your role in the world is duplicitous coward.

6 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

I've never understood the whole "Free Mumia" bit. When I first heard about it I had no idea what it was about. When I looked it up I couldn't figure out on what grounds some people wanted him exonerated. It's so cut and dried it's an investigators DREAM. All murder cases should be so simple to solve. When you look at what a paranoid wackjob the guy is it's not at all difficult to believe that he'd snap and execute a cop. I don't understand how the complex web of conspiracy developed.

6:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost never agree with anything you say anymore, but this was spot on.

8:56 AM

 
Blogger emerson said...

Please love me, anonymous!

10:09 AM

 
Blogger Richard said...

Don't we all want to be loved anonymously?

2:49 PM

 
Blogger emerson said...

That's called Glory Hole, Richard.

What I mean to say is that I, like the seasons, change, and with great power comes great responsibility. When I write it's as if from gawd's mouth to your eyes. I am but a vessel. Not a boat exactly but a container of truths. Big truths. Truths so big they make you think. About stuff.

3:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh Em, maybe you'll get the next Queen of France award.

Love & congrats to Patti regardless of the 'Rimbaud was a bad guy' intel.

4:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home