A sub-division of oldpunks.com

Monday, July 18, 2005

Ahnold In Da Nooze

I'm used to certain people hating Arnold Schwarzenegger. At a party last week a guy next to me for no reason started punching a fist into the other open hand and saying something about people who voted for Arnold. I said I voted for both Arnold and Bush and asked what he was going to do about it (in a friendly way, of course). It was funny how quickly the subject changed.

I have little interest in local politics and I've made it a point not to take an interest. National politics are bad enough so I don't care how sausages and laws are made locally. I barely knew the last governor's name until the recall election. Anti-Arnold forces, led by the ironical MoveOn (they came to be to protect Bill Clinton from charges of rape and adultery) hammered Arnold as a serial groper. If that eliminated Arnold as a candidate, then what of Gray Davis, who verbally and physically assaulted his staff on a regular basis. The LA Weekly uncovered the story that Davis violently shoved his loyal, 62-year-old secretary out a doorway. She suffered a breakdown and refused to ever work in the same room with him. I don't like hypocritical standards.

Arnold was in the news last week for signing and then dropping a multi-million dollar contract that attached his name to various bodybuilding magazines. If this is ethically wrong he shouldn't have done it but, my god, Arnold created modern bodybuilding almost single-handedly. There's an exercise named after him and his annual bodybuilding competition, The Arnold Classic, has been a premier event since 1989. He takes no salary as governor and whatever involvement he had with the magazines would have taken very little time.

Here's a before and after shot featuring Arnold on the beach last year, an unflattering photo used to mock him. He's like 58 years old and not training, What do you want? It's his off season. Here's Arny in his prime.

Here's what made me write this long rant. Someone in a giveaway newspaper wrote he could take steroids and become Mr. Universe like Arnold. Rarely do you come across such a pure statement of ignorance. If there were no steroids Arnold would still have been the best. In Arnold's day everyone was on 'roids. Even with steroids you have to be gifted genetically and train like a fiend. Dieting for competition is a 24/7 torture few can accomplish. To say it's as easy as eating a can of spinach disqualifies you from ever being taken seriously.

Dislike Arnold all you want. Both I and Arnold don't care. I'm no fanatic but I do give him credit for what he's accomplished. He decided as a teenager to be the best in the world at something and he chose bodybuilding. He came to America with $20 in his pocket and made it happen for himself. He trained for a week at a gym where I worked in the early 90s. He wasn't over 6' and he doesn't displace water like Lou Ferrigno, but every muscle was a steel cable and when he touched his toes his bicep was a bowling ball. He was also the most gracious person, talking to everyone and making everyone feel good. He radiated charisma and confidence.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left California because Davis had screwed it up so badly (I have never forgiven myself for voting for him) and my last act of defiance before I lit out for the wide open skies of Texas was to cast my vote to put Arnie in office. I figured that he couldn't do any worse than Davis did.

As for those people slamming Arnie for how he looks now, I wonder what they will look like when they're sixty. In my prime, I was in the service and in damn good shape but at no point did I ever have a chance of approaching the levels Ahnuld achieved. And I damn sure know that when I'm his age my biceps will be nowhere as big as his.

Arnie is the person to hate right now because, unlike Bush and Rove, there is a chance that Arnie can actually be derailed.

People like that are the reasons that I usually avoid politics altogether.

2:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arnold is probably a good guy on a personal level. It is his politics I don't like. I have lived in CA my whole life and I do pay attention to local politics. I am from the decidely conservative central valley and a registered independent. Mr. Shwarzenegger is not a good governor. He has not done anything worth noting. He has followed an irresponsible economic tradition for which he is not entirely to blame. He is, if anything, an example of how stagnant politics is in california. I am sorry to say he is a worthless governor that matches the effectiveness of the dem. controlled legislature.

6:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but Frank Zane defeated him at 175#. AS does show signs of steroid use which is cheating in my book. And how the #@$% could you have voted for Bush. You Republicains have no defense but that people are attacking you. But guess what? There's a reason you are being attacked. Screaming "victim" seems to be your most popular defense.

6:25 PM

 
Blogger emerson said...

Zane was great, but you can also tell me about some guy who beat Lance Armstrong in a bike race. Arnold defines bodybuilding in the eyes of the world. It's that simple.

How could I vote for Bush? You mean literally, like punching a hole in the ballot? I voted for the man most likely to defeat Islamofascism and promote freedom and democracy in the world.

I'm not a Republican. I've always been a registered Independent and never voted anything but Democratic until 9/11.

The victim tag is something I've never heard of on the right. I've never claimed to be a victim (as a concept). Victim culture is, as far as I know, one of the stilts that supports Marxism. The other poles are class hatred, genocidal lust and condescending superiority.

4:08 PM

 
Blogger Richard said...

I think he's referring to the conservative backlash in the media and to a lesser degree (but still up and coming) academia. Most conservative tracts I read spend their time dissecting the language and manifold hypocrisies and double standards of the left. Republicans often have the defense that they're being called black by the kettle and more and more people are coming out of the woodwork to say it.

6:11 AM

 
Blogger emerson said...

Rich, I wish the far left and the far right fought a spork war in the desert and whoever survives gets a bullet in the head.

8:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home