A sub-division of oldpunks.com

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Review: Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Man this is the stuff! And according to the "Internet" they're the bee's knees with the highly desirable 15-25 year old demographic.

London's Bloc Party play what I call retro-new wave and the press say is alternative pop. Happily they do it well and even more happily there's a number of these bands today giving new wave back its good name. According to their own site, Bloc Party are pretentious oddballs. Oh well.

Silent Alarm is filled with interesting songs you can dance to like we did back in the late 70s and early 80s. We danced with heart, soul and a little bit of what I call gumption. The songs are exhilarating and fun, with soaring choruses and guitars that, you may not want to hear this, comes more from Emo than anything else. The singer unit sounds like Robert Smith and while I do hear elements of a few olde British bands, mostly Gang of Four and The Cure, there's a driving and whirling energy to the music (driven by the drums) that make this modern sounding too.

Since you all borrow songs, listen to "Like Eating Glass" and "She's Hearing Voices". You may not thank me today, next week or forever for that matter, but when you die I'll piss on your graves, I swear I will, you ungrateful fuggs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home