A sub-division of oldpunks.com

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Review: The Killers - Hot Fuss CD

I don't listen to the radio, watch much TV or read music mags so I'm happily oblivious to whatever's hep. A while ago I heard Franz Ferdinand was retro New Wave, which I love as long as it doesn't copy Duran Duran or Culture Club, but their hit had a horrible beat once it kicked in and I dented a finger in my panic to turn it off.

Now that I'm writing again I'm also reviewing, so when I saw The Killer's Hot Fuss on a co-worker's desk I said to myself "self, them there's content!" It's not bad but not great. There's a few hits but nothing for me to slap on a hits comp. What I do like about it is that it's popular without being crap, so maybe good New Wave is back in style and the world will be a better place for it.

Reviews mention Oasis as a huge influence. If I've ever heard an Oasis song it wasn't intentional. What I hear in The Killers is The Cure, The Smiths, U2 and The Beatles (especially the last track). The dance songs have a nice beat and the slower songs are melodic, but nothing's knocking me out. The thing gets more heavily produced and orchestrated as it goes along, if that means anything.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Chameleons, too, as "Mr. Brightside" sounds suspiciously like their song "One Flesh."

Both they and FF seem to me to be a lot of musical sturm and drang producing only modest results.

1:18 PM

 
Blogger emerson said...

Hey Newey!

You sure know your new wave. Glad to have you aboard. "New Evolutionist" has been my favorite New Musik song for a few years now. "Chik Music" will never be played again.

1:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home