A sub-division of oldpunks.com

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Dollar Store Dragnet

Just a quick plug. I find episodes of Dragnet at the dollar store and the shows are incredibly tense, nasty, funny and unafraid. The 1951 run must all be in public domain. Today I watched Lee Marvin in "The Big Cast" and a nasty piece of action called "The Big Phone Call". Dragnet is remembered as a parody on certain levels but Jack Webb had it working on a number of levels. It was Just The Facts and a lot of well-acted drama. Webb exuded both bored weariness and raw contempt. What a great show.

3 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

You mean the original black and white Dragnet? I remember skipping over those on Nick at Night. Was I missing something?

6:24 AM

 
Blogger emerson said...

Rich:

I don't know about the 1960s run but the 1951, 1952 and 1953 episodes I've seen are great. Jack Webb is bored and angry at the same time. It's a marvel to see.

8:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grabbed a 20 episode two DVD set of early Dragnets,mostly 1951-1952 episodes at Borders for 7.99, Amazing stuff.
Dragnet 1967 is being released on DVD tomorrow,I'll be running to Best Buy to see how much they will be selling it for.

2:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home