A sub-division of oldpunks.com

Friday, January 06, 2006

Why I Hate "Art", Part 36B

Exhibit A:

A 76-year-old performance artist was arrested after attacking Marcel Duchamp's "Fountain" _ a porcelain urinal _ with a hammer, police said.

Duchamp's 1917 piece _ an ordinary white, porcelain urinal that's been called one of the most influential works of modern art _ was slightly chipped in the attack at the Pompidou Center in Paris, the museum said Thursday. It was removed from the exhibit for repair.

The suspect, a Provence resident whose identity was not released, already vandalized the work in 1993 _ urinating into the piece when it was on display in Nimes, in southern France, police said.

During questioning, the man claimed his hammer attack on Wednesday was a work of performance art that might have pleased Dada artists. The early 20th-century avant-garde movement was the focus of the exhibit that ends Monday, police said.

A 2004 poll of 500 arts figures ranked "Fountain" as the most influential work of modern art _ ahead of Pablo Picasso's "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon," Andy Warhol's screen prints of Marilyn Monroe and "Guernica," Picasso's depiction of war's devastation. "Fountain" is estimated at $3.6 million.

Exhibit B:

Killing cats isn't art — it's pure evil

These two young men — Wennekers was 26 and Powers 23 — made a video of themselves mutilating a cat, and then called it performance art. During much of the 17-minute tape, which is too gruesome to describe, the cat remained alive, screaming and meowing in pain.

Parody: Sweet! The Onion put this up again. I guess their archive service didn't make money.

Performance Artist Shocks U.S. Out Of Apathetic Stupor

7 Comments:

Blogger DA said...

Interesting....I've seen you shit-talk Vegans before, more than once. So factory farming, where animals are tortured for your enjoyment, is fine, but cats are somehow sacrosanct?

I'm not a big fan of performance art either.

10:54 AM

 
Blogger emerson said...

DA,

I don't think I've ever written anything about vegetarians in any context. I have nothing against vegetarians as long as they aren't superior assholes about it.

I think it's a great thing to do and gawd bless them. I buy as many soy-based products as I can, even the dreaded Trader Joe's soy corn dogs.

I don't like the idea of harvesting and killing animals but I eat chicken and can't see stopping. I like it, my body likes it and until it becomes illegal to do so I'll continue to eat chicken.

Gobble Gobble Hey!

11:33 AM

 
Blogger Robert G. said...

Chicken is the ultimate industrial meat.

1:08 PM

 
Blogger Robert G. said...

...in terms of low-end quality, not that it should be eaten while listening to KMFDM.

1:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That cat stuff is really, really sick. I mean, that kind of behaviour - and the people who get off on watching it - defines psychopathic personality. I'm with da about factory farming, when I was young my Grandpa owned a farm. He had beef cattle. It was my job to take them out of the barn - where the each had their own large clean stall ( I know cause I cleaned the stalls and put out fresh hay), to the water trough, pump (yeah a hand pump) the trough full of water until they had had enough then lead them out to the free-range pasture in the am, and back to the barn in the pm. At age six I thought this was a pretty cool thing to do. Those cows lived a happy life and I am against factory farming but do eat meat.
As for the cat killers - Krav 'em.
Heh heh heh.

5:56 AM

 
Blogger Richard said...

da has obviously watched too many "Meet Your Meat" videos. I'm against the type of factory farming you refer to but to equate it with the gratuitous killing of an animal (any animal, not just cute and cuddly kitties) is off the mark. To do it for enjoyment and to film it and call it art is a special kind of sick; the kind of sick that, if I had my way, we'd kill and bury in the back yard whenever it was found and never speak of it again.

And I've known some Vegans. They were all superior assholes about it.

9:16 AM

 
Blogger Robert G. said...

Richard, how can you say that? Vegans are your brothers, your sisters, your children and neighbours. They need your support.

Seriously, I was a vegetarian, until recently, when I began to realize that being absolute about these things is pretty stupid, really; having one ham sandwich a month is hardly going to prop up Big Pork, is it. I have a few veggie friends and family, and I've never come across anyone who wanted to lecture anyone about it, which believe me is a temptation when at every frickin' family dinner you get some idiot relative asking you the same idiot questions about your "beliefs" or waving roast beef under your nose as if it might cause you to flee the room.

1:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home