A sub-division of oldpunks.com

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Old Punk Memory 4

Today brought to you by The Uranus Corporation, who remind you that Good things come from Uranus!

Reader New Evolutionist casually mocked my punk personlyhood by tossing the so-called word "Mancunian" to describe things relating to Manchester (UK). I thought they were an alien race on Star Trek, but no, Google has 98,400 hits on a word that shouldn't exist -- but does! So people from Tampa are called, what, Tampons?

My unrelated point is that I have very fond memories of a time, roughly from 1978 to 1984, when I was of age, new wave and punk were my scene, it was cool to be into it, there were places to dance, bands to see and the future was so bright I had to squint a lot. That time is long gone and I hope all kids have their own golden years to look back on.

It started strong and I thought it might last forever, especially in 1979 when Elvis Costello, Graham Parker, the B52s, Iggy Pop, The Clash, XTC and others were all putting out great records. I slowly, painfully watched that scene die a death of a thousand cuts as disco faded and New Romance and disco-lite filled the void. Culture Club, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet - these were not the things dreams are made of. I went to clubs until they stopped playing enough songs I liked to make it worthwhile. I listened to radio stations until they ran out of good music or dropped the format completely.

I didn't leave popular culture, popular culture left me. That's what all us geezers say. I can't swear the old days were better than today because I know nostalgia is a lie. It's a pretty lie, and I hope it stays with me until Alzheimers, major head trauma or death washes it all away.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Screw nostalgia, dude. Time to start getting seriously into emo!

7:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opeth will help you believe again. Trust me on this one Em!

Love,

Stimpy

8:56 PM

 
Blogger emerson said...

I deleted that last post because, as Joey Stalin would have said, "No Post, No Problem".

I am one of the enlightened. My politics don't suck. They're nuanced and justice-enriched.

I am THE LUMPY PROLETARIAT. I know what's best for all of you.

3:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home