A sub-division of oldpunks.com

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Old Punk Memory 392 - Club Kid Edition

Yesterday I reviewed !!! and quoted a goofy review. The whole thing is here. This made me laugh hardest: "On the back of all this arrive !!! (pronounced chk chk chk), a band who's very name looks like an act of defiance." Nothing stands strong against oppression like naming your band after a punctuation mark. If that's so then Prince is John Connor.

A decade ago I dated a woman who years before regularly drove from Cleveland to NYC to go to clubs run and populated by the insane clownish posse featured in Party Monster. She was fabulous. We were watching a daytime talk show and the topic was Club Kids. The first to come out was a lumpy dumpy teenage girl who struck a pose and warbled "Don't hate me because I'm an Icon!" I fell off the couch in hysterics. The next putz was a dumpy lumpy fat boy wearing coke-bottle glasses who said he doesn't like his mother because she disrespects him. I was still on the floor and at this point I started flopping like a fish.

My girlfriend started crying because she was a Club Kid and knew all their trials and tribulations, their hopes and dreams, their gender confusion and love of clothing with a built-in expiration date of one wearing. She demanded I have compassion when all I had to offer was a spit-take and some floor-stompin'.

Needless to say, it was all my fault (as usual).

2 Comments:

Blogger Ratface said...

NYC clubs might be a lot cooler if they were run by the insane clown posse

6:05 AM

 
Blogger emerson said...

I wrote insane clownish posse. Speedreading doesn't work on deep thoughts like mine.

1:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home