A sub-division of oldpunks.com

Monday, March 06, 2006

Review: Hawthorne Heights - If Only You Were Lonely

Every so often I check in on what the kids are listening to. Today found me with the latest from Dayton, OH's Hawthorne Heights, an emo-screamo band. There's two album covers the label, Victory, claims you have to own to get "the whole story". My favorite amazon.com review notes, "They have so much less screaming than their last album, which would normally have upset me..." Their homepage is teen-centric and angst-tastic. As long as emo kids bathe I'm all for it.

Each generation has its own emo. Mine included 7 Seconds and The Hated. In the 90s I loved Building by Sense Field, and others like Seven Storey Mountain, The Promise Ring and Jimmy Eat World. That lasted a while and now I focus on silent noise bands like Screaming Silence and Chorus Of Zilch. These are not real band names.

Like Molly Hatchet, Hawthorne Heights has three guitarists. It probably makes a difference live. If Only You Were Lonely is clever until a few songs in when you realize each song is just a rearranged version of other songs. The only change of pace is "December", which has prom night slow dance written all over it. The cd is designed to appeal to everyone at the same time, from headbangers to crybabies. It's a delicate balance and they seem to do it well.

The best is the screaming guy who makes himself heard here and there. The regular singing is delicate, hurt and melodic, and then all of a sudden the screaming guy belts out a line like he's both puking and gargling. It's not an evil scream like death metal, it's just funny. I'd love to know more about the screaming man and why he do what he do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ratface said...

I wanted to hate you for reviewing this band. But then i read on...the only thing i've actually heard by them is a couple videos on Fuse during the background of making dinner. I just mumble to myself "Not another Taking Back Sunday ripoff like Story of The Year and whoever else Alternative Press puts on their cover these days." But if i start judging the bands based on their cds instead of unoriginal sound, maybe i'll start to like the slow-dance-prom songs.

9:39 AM

 
Blogger emerson said...

Ratty:

There are many reasons to hate me but this is not one of them. I don't listen to the radio so I'm really out of touch on things.

12:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home