A sub-division of oldpunks.com

Friday, September 09, 2005

All Skins Are Punks But Not All Punks Are Skins

My new link buddy Tesco Suicide posted a piece on Skins. Now where did I put that... oh yeah, here it is.

Here's the last paragraph from something I wrote years ago. My personal favorite Oi bands are Cock Sparrer, The Business and Peter and the Test Tube Babies.

I know not all skins are racist and some actually fight nazi Skins. I do think the nazis have irreparably tainted the term “Skinhead”. It’s time to call all non-racist Oi something else, like street punk, and acknowledge that a once proud word has been ruined by losers. Or, keep "Oi" and drop any reference to skinheads. Oi is esoteric to most people but “Skinhead” has become widely synonymous with white power. The word itself is not worth salvaging. Skinheads are a proud lot and won’t stop calling themselves skins on my account.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

emerson used to write the Old Punks Web Zine for years. It was great.

The greater archive can be found here:
http://www.oldpunks.com/

The article you seek can be found here:
http://oldpunks.com/oldpunks3.html

It's about the 3rd entry down.

12:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home